Medical Education Unit
Department of Medical Education Unit
Overview:The Medical Education Unit (MEU) at Shri Sathya Sai Medical College & Research Institute, a part of the SBV Advanced Center for Health Professional Education is recognized by Christian Medical College, Vellore, Nodal center of MCI to conduct faculty development programs (FDPs). It has a strong, enthusiastic and committed team of 19 faculty members, who are well trained in Medical Education, through various courses (viz. FAIMER, ACME, M,Phil.) / agencies (like FAIMER, National Medical Commission, Centre for Health Professions Education, Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth). Under SBV, the MEU has a strong back up of International Academic collaborations with Partners Medical International (PMI), a subsidiary of Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA. The Medical Education Unit of Shri Sathya Sai Medical college and research institute, since its establishment in 2008 has strived to motivate the Faculty and students to walk hand in hand to challenge the best of their abilities to achieve excellence in medical education.
Vision:“To evolve into a centre of excellence for Medical Education”
Mission:To enhance the quality of Medical Education by continuously upgrading the education process through:
- Application of advancing evidence based Medical Education Technology.
- Prorogating Innovative teaching methods through Medical Educational Research.
- To engage in both inter and intra-institutional collaboration for improving educational process.
1. Medical Education Technology • To support collaboration among teaching faculty, leading to improved integration, consistency and continuity both within and across courses and modules. • To propagate faculty development for our core educators with the aim that they will then share their expertise across the institution through role modeling and peer mentoring. • To periodically revise and upgrade the integrated curricular modules prescribed by Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth and also assist in implementation of the curriculum.
2. Education Process • To support collaboration among teaching faculty, leading to improved integration, consistency and continuity both within and across courses and modules. • To propagate faculty development for our core educators with the aim that they will then share their expertise across the institution through role modeling and peer mentoring. • To periodically revise and upgrade the integrated curricular modules prescribed by Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth and also assist in implementation of the curriculum.The MEU with its well qualified and experienced human resource has conducted several MCI recognized RBCWs. In addition, it organizes regular training sessions in association with the Medical Research Unit, round the year on Educational Technology and Research Methodology, Evidence Based Medicine, Curriculum Planning, teaching methodologies, Portfolio assessment, etc., for the Faculty, PGs and UGs of SSSMCRI and other colleges. Our institution has the unique distinction in the country of offering a Competency Based Post Graduate Medical Training.
No. of Faculty Members
Member pursuing FAIMER
Members pursuing ACME
Members pursuing M. Phil. in Health Professions Education
Members undergone RBCW
18 (7 from CMC Vellore)
Total Number of MEU Members
Faculty Strength & Achievements:
- Saurabh Shrivastava completed FAIMER Fellowship from PSG Coimbatore (2019)
- Kalaivani A, selected for FAIMER Fellowship in PSG-FRI (2020)
- Karthika Jayakumar, Dr. Saurabh Shrivastava, Dr. Lavakumar, Dr. Vijayalakshmi completed ACME from NMC Nodal center
- Kalaivani and Dr. Latha pursuing ACME from NMC Nodal Center (Completion in September 2021)
- Shree Lakshmi Devi enrolled for ACME from 20 April 2021
- 07 Members completed their RBCW from NMC Nodal Center
- 06 Members pursuing M. Phil. in Health Professions Education from CHPE, SBV
Curricular Support and Faculty development:
- Faculty Development:
- Unique distinction of the only MEU having Conducted Revised Basic Course Workshop Twice under the MCI nodal Center CMC Vellore.
- We aim to conduct 8-10 faculty development programs each year.
- Curricular Support:
- PG orientation program in Three Phases Every Year.
- UG Orientation program for Fresh UG Students (Foundation Course).
- Provide assistance in planning and implementation of UG and PG Curriculum.
- 6 Completed research projects presented as posters in ACME.
- 3 ongoing research projects.
- 120 publications in Medical education.