Department of Community Medicine
Community Medicine deals with the health of the populations as a whole and strive to alleviate the health problem of the community which includes both medical and social issues by appropriate strategies. Through primary care approach, the department protects, promotes and maintain the wellbeing of the community.
The Department aims to train the student to be able to appreciate the socio-cultural and environmental factors of health & disease and to organize prevention & control of communicable & non-communicable diseases at the community level, through scientific epidemiologic approaches. They are also encouraged to involve in the community during their Compulsory Rotatory Residential Internship (CRRI) period of 2 months in the field practice areas of both Rural & Urban Health Training Centers run by the college. They are motivated to excel in academics, researches and in administrative skills.
On the similar lines, the post-graduates in Community Medicine is trained to become Teachers / Trainers, Researchers & Epidemiologists; as well as Health Planners and Administrators. There are two P.G. seats sanctioned by MCI.
To become a model in community engagement through excellence in medical education, health care and research.
- To introduce innovative teaching learning methods and by providing joyful learning environment for undergraduate and post graduate students.
- To fulfill institutional social responsibility through meaningful and result oriented extension and outreach activities.
- To appreciate the physical, social, psychological, economic and environmental aspects of health and disease
- To apply the clinical skills to recognize and manage common health problems including their physical, emotional and social aspects at the individual and family levels and deal with medical emergencies at community level.
- To define and manage the health problems of the community she/he serves.
- Organize elementary epidemiological studies to assess the health problems in the area. For this, she/he should be able to design a study, collect data, analyse it with statistical tests and make a report and participate in a health information system.
- To work as an effective member of the health team.
- To plan and implement health education programmes.
- To perform administrative functions of health centres.
- To promote community participation especially in areas of disease control, health education and implementation of national programmes.
- To appreciate her/his limitations, recognize situations calling for referral to higher centres and be willing to refer patients for further consultations at the appropriate moment to appropriate centres.